A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O’Connor Essay
A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O’Connor
1. The point of view is third person omniscient.
More Essay Examples on Literature Rubric
2. The setting is Georgia.
3. The major theme of story is one of religion, is there enough good in the Misfit to save him, and the forgiveness from the grandmother even though she knows the Misfit has had her family killed.
4. The characters are Grandmother, Bailey, the mother, June Star, John Wesley, the baby, the Misfit, Red Sam, Red Sam’s wife, Hiram, and Bobby Lee.
5. Red Sam’s wife is a flat character, She stays the same in the short time that she is in the story.
6. Grandmother is a round character. She realizes that she has the ability to forgive.
7. The Misfit is a foil to Grandmother. She uses her faith and prayer at the end of her life and when she reaches out to the Misfit, he scoffs at her. He is a product of bad parenting and Grandmother has been a bad parent.
8. The dirt road is symbolic for leaving the highway of life for the areas that are dangerous and lead to illusions in life that are not really there like the house that is really in Tennessee. If the family had followed the directions that they should have, the negative things would not have happened.
A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner
9. The point of view is third person limited.
10. The setting is the town of Jefferson, Mississippi.
11. One of the themes is Society vs - A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O’Connor Essay introduction. Isolation
12. The characters are Miss Emily Greirson, Toby, Homer Baron, the Alabama relatives, Miss Emily’s father, Colonel Sartoris, the new aldermen, and the townspeople.
13. One of the flat characters is Toby. His one trait is loyalty and he remains loyal to Miss Emily even after she has died.
14. Miss Emily is a round character. She does not grow in a positive way, but she changes and becomes more desperate as the story progresses.
15. Homer Baron and his loud, Yankee, unsophisticated ways are a foil for Miss Emily’s quiet, Sothern, classy ways.
16. Miss Emily is symbolic of the old ways and traditions.