Computer Concepts Report
The primary element prior to purchasing a computer is to know ones computing requirements - Computer Concepts Report introduction. Here we have considered the requirements of a senior for a blend of jobs like data processing, running front end applications of an office and a database.
More Essay Examples on Computer Rubric
The following steps could be attributed for making a right decision and finally purchasing the personal computer:
· Deciding ones computing requirements is the essential factor as that would determine the configuration the personal computer must possess. If one requires a general one for office applications and spreadsheets, a minimum configuration is suitable. On the other hand if one requires to perform programming and other high computing platform usages then processing capability would be greater to support the launching and running of applications.
· The next decision would be to select between branded and non-branded PCs. Branded ones are non-assembled by the customer and are reconfigurable up to a certain limit, however they possess quality guaranteed by the vendor. Whereas the assembled PCs are reconfigurable to any extent and one can select their own hardware parts to match. This option is sought to be the best option.
· The hardware configuration is the next most vital point in the PC (How to buy a computer, 2007). One must focus on the following three:
o Power: It usually comes from the microprocessors which are implemented in the PCs for executing the instructions faster. The Intel powered processors, AMD and others are recommended for usage. The Intel Pentium III or IV with 550 Megahertz is ideal for computing and personal environments. For extreme gamers and multimedia designers and users Intel Celeron 433 megahertz is quite ideal.
Configurations: Pentium IV 1.3 to 3.6 GHz (robust than Celeron), Pentium IVs greater than 2.66 GHz possess Hyper Threading technology (basically it’s like having 2 CPUs for the one), Celeron D is quite good for business applications), Xeon is used often in servers, Pentium M is common in laptops which helps the battery last longer.
AMD would be an ideal choice as it is faster and the fans cool the chips constantly.
o Storage: The storage requirements for a personal PC must be taken as 40 GB; higher space can be added for use and storing purposes. The SATA HDD of 160 GB or less is the most famous for its usage in present times.
o Efficiency: It is calculated for the amount of RAM which a personal computer can possess. A RAM of 512 MB is quite suitable for personal computers. The more the RAM the more the number of programs loaded in memory for simultaneous access by the operating system.
Configuration: DDR Dimms PC 1600 to PC 4600 and RDram Rimm (not as common) (speeds range from 200 mhz – 800 mhz, the larger number is better)
Minimum RAM recommended is 256 MB, 512 is better for computing applications, 1GB minimum for intense research applications.
· Motherboard: It is not quite a big factor, however Intel or Mercury motherboard is recommended for usage in personal computers.
· Flat panel monitors of 17” inches are quite suitable. Dell monitors are recognized and of high quality (Dell.com, 2007)
· Printer is quite essential in taking a hard copy of the documents. HP, Canon, Epson are some of the brands which is well trusted for their quality are usage.
· USB slots: The USBs must be present in large numbers as most of the applications is generally plugged in using USB cables. Speeds of 2.0 and above are recommended.
· Modems: Wireless modems are in general most popular and connect to the internet with greater speeds of 10 Mbps or more. The greater the speed the faster is the accessibility to the internet. A digital modem would be of best use. V.92 is the latest modem standard (PC world.com, 2007).
· Software such as Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition can be loaded as an operating system or Linux can also be used. Utility programs such as Open office or MS Office package can be installed for personal usage and programs.
· Deciding on the right vendor is the crucial issue as the guarantee terms for the purchase is quite essential.
How system meets the goals?
The ability of the system to meet the goals are as follows:
· Upgrade-ability of the system: The system can be upgraded to increase the Hard Disk space, RAM, Sound and Video card, Processor and any sort of plug-ins.
· Warranty and maintenance agreements: The warranty on the system is for 2 years and semi-yearly maintenance agreements are in force.
· Cost effectiveness: The following sheet shows the various costs with the software and hardware requirements constant.
Figure 1: Comparing prices for the above PC configuration (URL: http://www.pcworld.com/shopping/detail/prtprdid,60858017-sortby,retailer/pricing.html)
· Necessary software for the computer:
o Microsoft Windows XP or Vista or Server 2008
o Microsoft Office Package 2008
o Adobe Reader 8.0
o Internet Explorer 7.0
o McAfee Anti-Virus software
The above configurable is suitable for a senior to use it in office for running general applications and software.
Dell.com (2008). Retrieved 22 April 2008 from http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/ap/topics/products/monitors/topics/en/infocenter_en?c=in&cs=inbsd1&l=en&s=bsd#B.
How to buy a computer (2008). Retrieved 22 April 2008 from http://cc.con cord.edu/computer.htm
PC World.com (2008). Retrieved 22 April 2008 from http://www.pcworld.com/.
WisdomCorner.com (2008). Retrieved 22 April 2008 from http://www.wisdom corner.com/consult/buyingcomputer.asp.
Pcworld.com (2008). Retrieved 22 April 2008 from http://www.pcworld.com/shopping/detail/prtprdid,60858017-sortby,retailer/pricing.html