Mastering A&P Chapter 21.2-5 Quiz - Antibody Essay Example
Mastering A&P Chapter 21 - Mastering A&P Chapter 21.2-5 Quiz introduction.2-5 Quiz
Chapter 21.2 Quiz
1. Cellular ingestion and destruction of particulate matter is called phagocytosis. True
2. Which of the following is a part of the second line of defense against microorganisms? Phagocytes
3. Innate immune system defenses include ________. Phagocytosis
4. Which of the following cells predominate at the sites of chronic infections? Macrophages
Chapter 21.3 Quiz
1. Substances capable of triggering the adaptive immune system and provoking an immune response are called antigens. True
2. Small molecules that bind with self-proteins to produce antigenic substances are called ________. Haptens
3. Which of the following is not characteristic of the adaptive immune system? It is specific for a given organ.
4. Immunocompetence ________.
Is the ability of individual cells to recognize a specific antigen by binding to it 5. Select the correct statement about antigens.
One antigen may have many different antigenic determinants and may therefore cause the formation of more than one antibody. Chapter 21.4 Quiz
1. Some immunocompetent cells will never be called to service in our lifetime. True
2. Adaptive immunity is provided only by lymphocytes that secrete antibodies. False
3. Somatic recombination by B cells allows each B cell to form its own unique antibody genes. True
4. It is our genes, not antigens, that determine what specific foreign substances our immune system will be able to recognize and resist. True
5. B lymphocytes develop immunocompetence in the ________. Bone marrow
6. Which of the statements below does not describe antigens? Antigens only come from microbes.
7. Which of the following determine(s) what specific foreign substances our adaptive immune system will be able to recognize and resist? Our genes
8. Which of the following statements is a false or incorrect statement?
After becoming immunocompetent, the naive T cells and B cells are exported to the bone marrow where the encounters with antigens occur. Chapter 21.5 Quiz
1 - cellular ingestion and destruction of particulate matter is called phagocytosis.. Soluble proteins secreted by plasma cells are called antibodies. True
2. Which of the following is characteristic of antibodies? Composed of heavy and light polypeptide chains
3. Which of the following is associated with passive immunity? Passage of IgG antibodies from a pregnant mother to her fetus 4. In clonal selection of B cells, which substance is responsible for determining which cells will eventually become cloned? Antigen
essay sample on "Mastering A&P Chapter 21.2-5 Quiz"? We will write a cheap essay sample on "Mastering A&P Chapter 21.2-5 Quiz" specifically for you for only $12.90/page
5. B cells respond to the initial antigen challenge by ________. Producing progeny cells that include plasma cells and memory cells 6. Select the correct statement about active and passive immunity. Active and passive humoral immunity are both mechanisms of adaptive immunity that use antibodies. 7. Clonal selection of B cells ________.
Results in the formation of plasma cells
8. The primary immune response ________.
Has a lag period while B cells proliferate and differentiate into plasma cells 9. Select the correct statement about the function of antibodies. Complement fixation is the main mechanism by which antibodies provide protection. 10. Antibody functions include all of the following except ________. Cross-linking cell-bound antigens on red blood cells when blood types are properly matched 11. Which of the following is not a method by which antibodies work? Direct cell lysis