****** BE CAREFUL Microwaving Water To Heat it Up!!! ******
Please be aware of the following information if you or someone you know, is a person that uses a microwave oven to heat water.
About five days ago a 26-year old man decided to have a cup of instant coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for but he said he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven.
As he looked into the cup he noted that the water was not boiling but instantly the water in the cup “blew up” into his face. The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand, but all the water had flown out into his face due to the buildup of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face, which may leave scarring. He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye.
While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven.
If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy, such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag (without the metal staple), etc. It is, however, a much safer choice to boil the water in a teakettle.
Please pass this information on to friends and family.