Osteoporosis Hesi Case Study
1. During the intake assessment and interview what information indicates that Kat has an increased risk for osteoporosis? (Select all that apply)
body mass index of 19
excessive alcohol use
2. How should the nurse respond?
participating in sports and activities often helps the bones become stronger and denser.
3. which aspect of her medication history is most likely to impact Kat’s risk for osteoporosis?
discontinued use of estrogen therapy 4 years ago, 8 years after a hysterectomy.
4. What action should the nurse implement?
provide the client with the available choices of appointment times and allow the client to select the desired appointment.
5. What information should the nurse provide the client concerning the effects of food allergies on osteoporosis screening?
reassure the client that there are no dyes or products containing iodine used during a DXA
We will write a custom essay sample on
Osteoporosis Hesi Case Study
or any similar topic specifically for you
Do Not Waste
We'll occasionally send you account related and promo emails.
6. How should the nurse respond?
Many persons with osteoporosis do not have any symptoms
7. What action should the nurse implement first upon learning of this problem?
Ask the client if she has discussed this symptom with her healthcare provider.
8. In addition to evaluating for the presence of subjective symptoms, what assessment technique should the nurse include in the ongoing assessment of Kat’s bone density?
Measure her height
9. To increase Kat’s dietary intake of calcium, which snack should the nurse recommend
a cup of fruit-flavored yogurt
10. What instructions should the nurse provide? (Select all that apply)
Try to take 1 tablet withe each meal
By taking 3 of your calcium tablets each day you will receive adequate amount of calcium for your needs
11. How should the nurse respond?
It is important to increase the frequency of your walks to at least five times per week
12. To help determine why osteoporosis has developed what question should the nurse ask Kat?
What medications have you taken during the last year.
13. Which medication is most likely to have contributed to the decrease in Kat’s bone density?
Prednisone (deltasone), a corticosteroid, taken during acute exacerbation and for several months following
14. Which responses are appropriate (Select all that apply)
the medication is much better adsorbed when take on an empty stomach
make sure you remain upright for at least 1/2 hour after taking the medication
15. What action should the nurse take?
Ask Kat to describe her method of Fosamax administration
16. What action should the nurse implement first?
Apply oxygen via mask
17. What is the priority nursing action?
ensure that incubation equipment is readily available
18. Which reported information indicates the need to assign the client to the RN
six hours following a hip arthroplasty, the clients auto-transfusion collection device is full of sanguinous drainage.
19. Arrangements should be made for which nurse to provide care for Kate?
An experienced critical care RN who is scheduled off for the day.
20. In the planning of Kat’s care, which problem has the highest priority?
21. Which nursing action should be implemented to address this potential problem
assess for sensation and movement of the feet every 4 hours
22. What action should the charge nurse implement?
Discuss the implications of placebo use with the nurse who administered the saline.
23. What action should the charge nurse take?
Meet privately with the nurse at once to discuss the conversation that was overheard
24. In providing client teaching the nurse discusses the need for periodic motoring of which diagnostic serum lab value
25. The nurse stresses the importance of reporting which problem
26. what action should the nurse take
encourage the client to practice the injection technique again under the supervision of the nurse.
27. How should the nurse respond?
It sounds as if your daughter has been really helpful
28. How should the nurse respond:?
How do you envision your lifestyle in the years ahead?