The sooner we act to mitigate climate change, the less damage we’ll do to our planet.
1. Climate change is already having major impacts on our planet and its inhabitants.
2. The Earth’s climate is changing more rapidly now than at any point in human history. (The last ten years have been the hottest on record.)
3. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) predicts that the global average temperature will rise by 1.5°C by the end of the century. That’s enough to cause major changes in our environment—more extreme weather events, rising sea levels, increased food production costs and poverty rates—that will affect us all for generations to come!
4. Climate change will cause more extreme weather events, such as heatwaves, droughts, floods and hurricanes. There’s even evidence that it can lead to more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions!
5. It will also lead to rising sea levels, which will threaten coastal communities and island nations like Kiribati (one of many homes threatened by rising oceans). We need to take urgent action now if we want to prevent this from happening!