Bsbwor502B: Ensure Team Effectiveness Essay
1. A group of people differentiates from a team in the following way: • Involves members acting independently;
• Every person performs essentially the same actions; and
• The performance of one person has no direct effect on the performance of other team members.
2. It is important to establish a clear team purpose. Encouraging members to question the purpose of the team, how it will operate and what it is expected to achieve serves to foster a deeper understanding of the team’s role, and the role of each team member that comprises it, than is possible if this information is simply relayed from an external source.
Providing team members the opportunity to debate the role of the team allows them to shape their purpose and understand in common.
3. Implications of role ambiguity within a team framework and with regard to the following are: • Task achievement – No significant task can be accomplished without the help of other members.
• Team cohesion – Within the team, members typically specialise in different tasks. The point of a team is that each individual in the team brings a range of skills, knowledge, attitudes, aptitudes, personalities and priorities to the team. • Personal achievement – The success of every individual is extricable bound to the success of the whole team.
4. It is important that the team’s purpose and role be collaboratively developed so all employees know and clearly understand the organisation’s vision, strategies, goals and objectives, and align their team goals with them.
5. Examples of documents that record in writing a team’s purpose and role are: • Mission statement – this is extremely effective as it defines the organisation’s purpose and primary objectives as well as guides the actions of the team within an organisation. It spells out its overall goal, provides a path, and guides decision-making. It provides the framework or context
within which the company’s strategies are…
· Activity 5
* Consider a team that you have either led or have been a part of. Describe the members of the team in relation to Belbin’s roles: * Implementer
* Completer/ finisher
* Monitor/ evaluator
* Team worker
* Resource/ investigator
1. Did you have the recommended mix of roles?
2. Was the team heavily weighted with a particular role type? What impact did this have on the team’s effectiveness? 3. Did you have any roles missing? What impact did this have on the team’s effectiveness? 4. What policies and procedures were used for this team to ensure that each person took responsibility for their own tasks?
Within my current role I have team members that relate to Belbins roles. Certain team members work well in the group and have strong ideas and suggestions. Other team members are more reserved an are happy to be directed and go about completing work tasks their own way. Other team members may be very experienced and can provide valuable guidance to other members (specialist). The team is overseen by myself, who is responsible for responsible for providing direction and support (co-coordinator).
· 1) Overall I believe the team had the recommended mix of roles, there were various members with different ideas and suggestions, as well as roles and responsibilities. This ensured there was constant balance within the team dynamic.
· 2) I feel the team had a lot of “plants” at some stages who struggled to come up with the initial spark of an idea with which to push forward. This created some issues within the team until the correct balance was formed. With too many plants in the team, bad ideas concealed good ones and too much time/resources was wasted in certain areas.
3) In the beginning the team lacked a strong “shaper”. The Shaper is an extremely important part of the puzzle and without this the team ambled along without… [continues]
Cite this Ensure team effectiveness
Ensure team effectiveness. (2016, Jun 08). Retrieved from https://graduateway.com/ensure-team-effectiveness/