1. Define OD and differentiate OD from other change programs. (5 marks)
Organization Development or OD is a planned process of change in the organization’s culture that requires a long-range effort and programs that is aimed at improving the organization’s ability to survive and sustain with new challenges that may arise. OD also changes the problem solving and renewal processes for a better outcome. What differentiates OD from other change program is OD focus on developing the organization behavior that will help to prevent problem that might be faced later on and OD also implement total quality management that could help in increasing competitivebess.
2. Explain the FIVE (5) characteristics of OD. (10 marks) Characteristics of OD are:
It is an activity in an organization that is intentional and was planned based on goal-oriented. Collaborative approach
It is understood by participants as a perspective and way of relating, and collaborates with other to adapt to changes. Performance orientation
It reflects the extent to which a community encourages and rewards innovation, high standards, excellence, and performance improvement OD is oriented based of performance.
Management thinking that emphasizes the interdependence and interactive nature of elements within and external to an organization.
3. Define and discuss importance of organization culture. (10 marks)
The organization culture is a system of sharing the same values and beliefs about what’s important and appropriate in an organization, organization culture involve many beliefs like the relationship shared among workers, the norms, the way of thinking, doing their job and many more. Each organization has their unique culture and this culture can help in creating the positive and a unity environment, the organization culture can help to improve the efficiency and to achieve a better result.
Other than the unity, the organization culture can help to improve the employee’s loyalty. Through organization culture, employer can keep motivated the employee. Because of they shared the same values, they tend to be more loyal to the organization because of that beliefs. Moreover, organizational culture can help to improve the employee output, this is due to a healthy competition in the organization culture. Every employee will strive to preform their best to earn the recognition from their superiors.
4. List and describe the THREE (3) basic socialization responses and tell under what conditions each may be appropriate. (6 marks) Three basic socialization responses are:
This response may be appropriate to use when we reject of all the company’s value and norms. Creative individualism
This response appropriate when we are accepting only the Privotal values or norms, that is the value that is essential to organization’s objective and reject the other values or norms. Conformity
This socialization response may be appropriate when we accept all the values and norms.
5. Define “satisficing” management and explain what impact Alvin Toffler’s concept of future shock has on this adaptation orientation. (15 marks)
There are four model of adaptive orientation and one of it is satisficing management, satisficing management is a type of management that does only what is necessary to just get by or does what only good enough to get through. Rather that giving the best effort and resources to give best outcome, this management only does what is adequate with average effort to survive.
Future shock happen when there is too much change in too short a time, this can cause inability for the management in adapting to accelerating change. Because of the satisficing management have a stable environment, it have a high adaptation towards changes. As a result, this adaptation orientation can cope with the impact Alvin Toffler’s concept of future shock.
6. List and describe the organization tools required for an adaptive organization (6 marks) Information It is a tool that provides us with the ability to gather information and provide information to the people. Support Support is a tool that needed the collaboration from other department and also the management support to provide climate of risk taking. Resources: It is essential to have the resources to adapt with the changes, the examples of resources are funds, staff, equipment and materials.
7. Managerial effectiveness, managerial efficiency, and motivation climate are three basic organizational dimensions affecting performance that OD programs are aimed at. Explain these three dimensions. (10 marks)
Managerial effectiveness is a leader’s ability to achieve the desired results. How well he applies his skills and abilities in guiding and directing others determines his effectiveness as a leader or manager. Not only need to manage him or her self but also manage other and do it in a most effective manner. At the same time encourage the employee to undertake smart and intelligent risk that can benefits the organization.
The managerial efficiency is a management that used the minimum input but produces or gives out maximum output. In this dimension, the managers have to be very skillful in recognizing the true ability and talent so that the talent did not goes to waste. As for the motivation climate, it is a motivational that helps to create organizational climate and it help to influence the employee’s collective behavior.
8. List and explain three ethical or value implications that face the OD practitioner in implementing an OD program. (6 marks) Three ethical implications that face by the OD practitioner in implementing an OD program: Wrong used of Data
When information gathered during the OD process is used for the wrong purpose or for other interest rather than company development.
The example of misrepresentation is when OD practitioners claim that an intervention wills product result that is unreasonable for the change program or the situation.
The organization members are forced to participate in an intervention and they are not volunteer and not willingly to participate in the intervention.
9. How can the relationship of mutual trust between the client and the practitioner be facilitated? Why is it necessary? (10 marks)
Organization development is a deliberately planned, organization-wide effort to increase an organization’s effectiveness and efficiency. OD theorists and practitioners define it in various ways. Its multiplicity of definition reflects the complexity of the discipline and is responsible for its lack of understanding. OD is a systemic learning and development strategy intended to change the basics of beliefs, attitudes and relevance of values, and structure of the current organization to better absorb disruptive technologies, shrinking or exploding market opportunities and ensuing challenges and chaos.
It is worth understanding what OD is not. It is not training, personal development, team development, human resource development, learning and development or a part of HR although it is often mistakenly understood as some or all of these. OD interventions are about change so involve people but OD also develops processes, systems and structures.
10. What is meant by “gap analysis”? (5 marks)
A gab analysis is a technique that businesses use to determine what steps need to be taken in order to move from its current state of output to its desired, future state of output. Gap analysis also called need-gap analysis, needs analysis, and needs assessment. The gap analysis consists of first, listing of characteristic factors such as attributes, competencies, performance levels of the present situation or “what is”. Secondly, listing factors needed to achieve future objectives or “what should be”, and then the third is highlighting the gaps that exist and need to be filled. Gap analysis forces a company to reflect on who the company is and ask who they want to be in the future.
11. Comment on the following potential problems areas in the diagnostic phase: over diagnosis, crisis diagnosis, practitioner’s favorite diagnosis, diagnosis of symptoms, and threatening diagnosis. (20 marks)
Cite this Organizational Development
Organizational Development. (2016, Jun 25). Retrieved from https://graduateway.com/organizational-development/