– After reading about McClelland’s Learned Needs Theory in your textbook, prepare a one page report of your thoughts on whether needs can be learned.
– McClelland’s theory sometimes is referred to as the three need theory or as the learned needs theory. This theory deals with the needs which are acquired through the process of learning, which are being learned or are learned. Theory proposed a context for understanding needs in people, which holds significance in understanding motivations and behaviors.
– Theory says that, regardless of our gender, culture, or age, we all have three motivating drivers, and one of these will be our dominant motivating driver. This dominant motivator is largely dependent on our culture and life experiences. Most of these needs can be classed as either achievement, affiliation, or power.
– People with a high need for achievement (nAch) seek to excel and thus tend to avoid both low-risk and high-risk situations. Achievers avoid low-risk situations because the easily attained success is not a genuine achievement.
In high-risk projects, achievers see the outcome as one of chance rather than one’s own effort. High nAch individuals prefer work that has a moderate probability of success. Achievers need regular feedback in order to monitor the progress of their achievements. They prefer either to work alone or with other high achievers.
* Has a strong need to set and accomplish challenging goals.
* Takes calculated risks to accomplish their goals.
* Likes to receive regular feedback on their progress and achievements.
* Often likes to work alone.
– Those with a high need for affiliation (nAff) need harmonious relationships with other people and need to feel accepted by other people. They tend to conform to the norms of their work group. High nAff individuals prefer work that provides significant personal interaction. They perform well in customer service and client interaction situations
Cite this Needs Can Be Learned Essay
Needs Can Be Learned Essay. (2018, Aug 12). Retrieved from https://graduateway.com/needs-can-be-learned/