“And now Israel, what does the Lord your God require from you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul, says Deuteronomy 10:12″(Zangwill Israel, 1999-2006).
Also per I Lift My Eyes Ministry “Isaiah 49:7, the LORD says— the Redeemer and Holy One of Israel— to him who was despised and abhorred by the nation, to the servant of rulers: “Kings will see you and rise up, princes will see and bow down, because of the LORD, who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you” (I Lift My Eyes Ministry, 1996) The United Nations created the current state of Israel on May 15, 1948.
Israel was created because of the League of Nations Mandate of 1922.
This mandate was to make Great Britain establish a, as Isseroff states, “National Home” for the Jews in Palestine” (Isseroff, 2005-2006).
Per the Palestine Facts
“All our efforts to find a peaceful solution to the Palestine problem have failed.
The only way left for us is war. I will have the pleasure and honor to save Palestine. ” stated Transjordan’s King Abdullah On April 26, 1948” (PALESTINE FACTS, 2009 ). The war and search for independence started on November 29, 1947 and lasted until April 1, 1948.
There were around 1,000 Arabs that assaulted the Jews in the northerly part of Palestine. Again Palestine facts state “On May 14, 1948, David Ben-Gurion read Israel’s Proclamation of Independence in Tel Aviv” (PALESTINE FACTS, 2009 ). As a result of the war Arabs fled for many purposes, but ultimately it was to get out of the conflict of the war, which resulted in an unspecified number of displaced refugees. The displaced refugees were not allowed to take anything more than what they were wearing.
The only country that was willing to help the Palestinians was Jordan. As of today they don’t have political or public privileges nor do they have a lot of access to well- being or instructive services. In my opinion, the current state of Israel raises several key points such as, the 1948 and 1967 wars between Israel and the Arabs as well as the United States involvement, various geographical information regarding the West Bank and Gaza Strip in conjunction with identifying various political Palestinian groups, current
Middle East Nations and Recent Attacks by Israel on Gaza
The first Arab-Israeli war in 1948 was for independence. A Schneider writes “It began as a civil conflict between Palestinian Jews and Arabs following announcement of the United Nations (UN) decision in November 1947 to partition the country into a Jewish state, an Arab state, and an international enclave encompassing the greater Jerusalem area” (Schneider, 2008). Jews were for this but the Arabs didn’t want this to happen. The Jewish troops were more prepared than the Arab troops.
For this the Arab troops drive had gone astray. The Jewish and the Arab acknowledged a 28 day ceasefire that was arranged by the United Nations and began on June 10th. The combat started again on July 8th. The Israeli forces took over Arab region in the north. This included Nazareth in Galilee but the Old City of Jerusalem was unsuccessful. There was a second treaty set in place on July 19th. It was ruined numerous times as Israeli’s tried to interrupt Egypt’s > obstruction of the Negev.
By January 5th, Egypt settled to receive a Security Council request for a fresh peace. Because of this the General Armistice Agreement was signed on February 24, 1949. The truce lasted until 1967. The 1967 war also known as the six day war. T Kjeilen notes “From its beginning to the end, the war lasted 132 hours and 30 minutes (less than 6 days)” (Kjeilen, 1996-2009 ). It took place from June 5th to June 10th and was started by General Moshe Dayan, who was Israel’s protection priest. C Trueman jots down “The war was against Syria, Jordan and Egypt.
Israel believed that it was only a matter of time before the three Arab states coordinated a massive attack on Israel” (Trueman, 2000-2008 ). Per CAMERA “Following an air attack by the Syrians on the first day of the war, Israel dealt a shattering blow to the Syrian air force. Hostilities continued in the days that followed, and on fifth day of the war, the Israelis mustered enough forces to remove the Syrian threat from the Golan Heights. This difficult operation was completed the following day, bringing the active phase of the war to a close” (CAMERA, 2007). gt; Israel was first noticed by the United States a few moments after it was formally established in 1948 and had assistant from League of Nations.
Also Palestine fact notes “Although the US sold hundreds of millions of dollars in weaponry to Arab states during the 1950s and early 1960s, there were no sales to Israel until 1962 when the US agreed to sell to Israel its first significant American system, the HAWK anti-aircraft missile” (PALESTINE FACTS, 2009 ). United States has given money to Israel to help them take in refugees and Holocaust victims. C. Curtiss notates “Israel has received since 1949 a grand total of $84. 8 billion, excluding the $10 billion in U. S. government loan guarantees it has drawn to date” (Curtiss, 1999).
Per the Ohio State University
“The West Bank and Gaza Strip were part of the British Mandate of Palestine from 1920 to 1947” (Ohio State University , 2009). The Gaza Strip was inhibited by Egypt in 1948. Israel came and conquered the Gaza Strip. Therefore letting them have control over both the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.
The Palestine Liberation Organization was As J. Pike states “founded in 1964 as a Palestinian nationalist umbrella organization dedicated to the establishment of an independent Palestinian state” (Pike, 1998 ). Yasser Arafat became the presiding officer in 1969 and still is. Found on The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia “The PLO was initially committed to the dissolution of Israel, mainly through the use of armed force” (The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. , 2007).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia states “Palestinian Authority, interim self-government body responsible for areas of the West Bank and under Palestinian control and was established in 1994” (The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 2007). Nineteen representatives of the Palestinian National Authority were selected by Yasser Arafat in 1994. Fatah Party also stands for, as A. Cline notes, “The Palestinian Liberation Party” (Cline, 2009). A. Cline also notes “Fatah has been dedication to the elimination of the state of Israel and the creation of a Palestinian state” (Cline, 2009). Hamas is the Arabic acronym for the Islamic Resistance Movement, a Palestinian organization committed to eliminating Israel and replacing it with an Islamic state” (Morley, 2006).
Hamas is believed to be an assassin group by the US and the west because of the madness violence on Israel. “The stated goal of Hamas is the elimination of the State of Israel, leading many people and organizations to classify it as an anti-Semitic group” (Smith, 2003 – 2009 ) J. Morley transcribe “Hamas came to prominence n the 1990s by rejecting the so-called Oslo peace process which sought to establish a Palestinian state alongside Israel” (Morley, 2006) The office of electronic information states “The Oslo Accords (officially the Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Government Arrangements) were signed by Israel and the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) in Washington, DC, on September 13, 1993, after months of secret negotiations” (The Office of Electronic Information, Bureau of Public Affairs, 1989-2000). There were significant imperfections in the Oslo Accord.
As the Canadian Friends of the International Christian Embassy writes “The most fundamental flaw is the renunciation of Jewish claims to Judea, Samaria, and Gaza. The right of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel cannot be renounced by a transitory Israeli government. The present government has no right to deprive future generations of Jews and Israelis of their legal patrimony” (Canadian Friends of the International Christian Embassy in Jerusalem, 2002). The Middle East nations are Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, and Saudi Arabia.
The world fact book states Egypt’s the Central Intelligence Agency notes “Location Northern Africa, bordering the Mediterranean Sea, between Libya and the Gaza Strip, and the Red Sea north of Sudan, and includes the Asian Sinai Peninsula. Area: 1,001,450 sq km. population: 81,713,520(July 2008 EST. ). GDP- per capita $5,500 (2008 est. )” (Central Intelligence Agency, 2009). Egypt is a republican state. Iran is next to Iraq, Turkey, and Afghanistan. Iran is 636,293 square miles and as of 2008 the population is 65,875,223 and is an Islamic theocracy.
Their GDP according to the 2007 estimate is $753 billion; per capita $ 10,600. Pearson Education notates “In Jan. 2002, U. S. president Bush announced that Iran was part of an “axis of evil,” calling it one of the most active state sponsors of international terrorism” (Pearson Education, Inc. , 2008) for this Iran is not aligned with the United States or with Britain. Iraq is 437,072 square km and is close to the size of California. The population is 27,499,638 according to the 2007 estimate. It is located next to Iran, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia.
Iraq’s GDP is $55. 44 billion of the official exchange rate or per capita $ 3,600 per a 2007 estimate. Their government status is a Parliamentary 2006, the Government of Iraq has been a broad coalition led by a Shi’ite legislative bloc known as the United Iraqi Coalition (UIC) or the United Iraqi Alliance (UIA)” (The Office of Electronic Information, Bureau of Public Affairs, 2008). ; Israel is between Jordan and Egypt and has a population of 7,192,200 and is close to the size of New Jersey. Their economic status is $18,700 per capita.
The Double Standards states: “In Israel where the state is legally considered to be both Jewish and democratic, Israeli social scientists tended, until recently, to underplay the inherit contradiction in this definition, arguing that Israel is part of the enlightened, civilized and liberal Western-world, although geographically located in a region known for its infamous characteristics of despotism, irrationality and backwardness” (Double Standards`, 2008). According to the Embassy of Israel “President George W. Bush stated, “We will speak up for our principles and we will stand up for our friends in the world.
And one of our most important friends is the State of Israel. My administration will be steadfast in supporting Israel against terrorism and violence, and in seeking the peace for which all Israelis pray” (Embassy of Israel, 2006) Jordan has an estimated population of 6,198,677 people living there according to a 2008 estimate and the total are is 35,637 square miles. They are settled next to Israel. The GDP/PPP per a 2007 estimate is $28. 18 billion and per capita it is $4,700. Pearson Education states, “Jordan’s stance during the Persian Gulf War strained relations with the U. S. and led to the termination of U. S. aid” (Pearson Education Inc, 2008). Lebanon totals 4034 square miles and borders Syria and Israel. They have a population of about 3,874,050 (2006 estimate) and are a republic state. Their GDP is $17. 61 billion and the per capita is $4,800.
John Whiteclay Chambers II writes “Lebanon became of particular importance to America in 1957 when President Dwight D. Eisenhower issued the Eisenhower Doctrine declaring the Middle East vital to U. S. national security interests” http://www. encyclopedia. com/doc/1O126LebanonUSMilitarynvlvmntn. tml Finally Saudi Arabia is located next to Iraq and Iran and is estimated by the government to be 2,217,949 square kilometers. A 2004 estimate states there are 22. 7 million, including about 6 million expatriates living in Saudi Arabia. They are neither republic nor democrat but an Islamic state. The GDP is $374. 2 billion in US dollars. U. S Library of Congress writes “In 1922 Abd al Aziz ibn Abd ar Rahman Al Saud (r. 1902-53) and British officials representing Iraqi interests signed the Treaty of Mohammara, which established the boundary between Iraq and the future Saudi Arabia” (U. S. Library of Congress , 1992). gt; The recent attacks by Israel on Garza started because they were necessary to make an end from the missile raid group Gaza which is led by Hamas. In six weeks the assaults has surged. The Israeli officials state, per Klein’s writing, “the number of Palestinian rocket attacks could now spike to 200 a day” (Klein, 2008). There doesn’t seem to be a real number as to how many causlties there are in the war against Israel and Gaza. The BBC News writes “As a seasoned war correspondent, Mr Cremonesi said that as a general rule in conflict, for every one person killed, another three are seriously injured.
That ratio would correspond roughly to the figures quoted by the Ministry of Health on 19 January of 1,314 dead, and 5,300 injured” (Bell, 2009). There was a six-month cease-fire but Israel but Israel turned down Hams wanting to make it last longer. According to the Christian Science Monitor “Some specifics of an Egyptian-negotiated cease-fire deal began to emerge over the weekend, holding out the possibility of Israel and Hamas reaching an 18-month truce that would include a major prisoner swap.
Hamas would release a kidnapped Israeli soldier, Sgt. Gilad Shalit (promoted from corporal since his capture), in exchange for a large number of Palestinian prisoners – anywhere from 400 to 1,400, according to numerous, unconfirmed reports” (Prusher, 2009). Phyllis Bennis writes “The Washington Post quoted a Bush administration official saying that Israel struck in Gaza “because they want it to be over before the next administration comes in. They can’t predict how the next administration will handle it. And this is not the way they want to start with the new administration” (Bennis, 2008). So in my opinion President George Bush U. S. dministration knew what was going on the whole time and didn’t make enough of an effort to make it clear to Israel and Gaza ; where the U. S. stood and how this isn’t the right way to go about obtaining what is theirs.
- Columbia University Press. (2007). Palestinian Authority . Retrieved 02 07, 2009, from The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia: http://encyclopedia2. thefreedictionary. com/Palestinian+Authority ;
- Bard, M. G. (2009). Myths & Facts Online, The Refugees. Retrieved 02 07, 2009, from Jewish Virtual Library: http://www. ewishvirtuallibrary. org/jsource/myths/mf14. html ;
- Bell, B. (2009, 01 28). Counting casualties of Gaza’s war . Retrieved 02 10, 2009, from BBC News: http://news. bbc. co. uk/2/hi/middle_east/7855070. stm
- Bennis, P. (2008, 12 28). The Gaza Crisis: December 2008. Retrieved 02 10, 2009, from Transnational Institute: http://www. tni. org/detail_page. phtml? act_id=19052
- CAMERA. (2007). WAR . Retrieved 02 08, 2009, from CAMERA Committe for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America: http://www. sixdaywar. org/war. asp
- Canadian Friends of the International Christian Embassy in Jerusalem. (2002). Why did the Oslo Accords fail to stop violence and create the desired peace? Retrieved 02 08, 2009, from The Peace FAQ: Oslo, The Oslo Accords: http://www. peacefaq. com/oslo. html
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2009, 02 05). Egypt. Retrieved 02 09, 2009, from The World factbook: https://www. cia. gov/library/publications/the-world- factbook/geos/eg. html
- Chambers II, J. W. (2000). Lebaon, U. S. Military Involovement in. Retrieved 02 10, 2009, from Encyclopedia. com: http://www. encyclopedia. com/doc/10126-LebanonUSMilitarynvlvmntn. html
- Cline, A. (2009). Fatah . Retrieved 02 07, 2009, from About. com: http://atheism. about. com/library/glossary/islam/bldef_fatah. htm
- Columbia University Press. (2007). Palestinian Authority . Retrieved 02 07, 2009, from Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia: http://encyclopedia2. thefreedictionary. com/Palestinian+Authority
- Curtiss, R. (1999). The Cost of Israel to the American People. Retrieved 02 08, 2009, from Al-Hewar Center, Inc: http://www. alhewar. com/Curtiss. html
- Double Standards`. (2008, 01 31). The ‘democratic’ state of Israel. Retrieved 02 10, 2009, from Double Standards: http://www. doublestandards. org/israeldemo. tml
- Embassy of Israel. (2006). U. S. Presidents: Historical Commitment to Israel . Retrieved 02 10, 2009, from Embassy of Israel: http://www. israelemb. org/US-Israel-Relations/US_presidents. html
- I Lift My Eyes Ministry. (1996). Bible Quotes on God’s Faithfulness to His Children . Retrieved 02 10, 2009, from Encouraging Bible Verses: http://encouragingbiblequotes. com/versesfaithfulnessa. html ;
- Isseroff, A. (2005-2006). Was Israel created because of the Holocaust? Retrieved 02 07, 2009, from Zionism and Israel Information Center : http://www. zionism-israel. com/issues/holocaust1. html
- Kjeilen, T. (1996-2009 ). Six-Day War . Retrieved 02 08, 2009, from LookLex : http://lexicorient. com/e. o/sixdaywr. htm ;
- Klein, A. J. (2008, 12 27). The Gaza Air Strikes: Why Israel Attacked. Retrieved 02 10, 2009, from Time World: http://www. time. com/time/world/article/0,8599,1868829,00. html ;
- Markowitz, R. (2007, 07 01). Israel is the size of New Jersey. Retrieved 02 09, 2009, from Israelplug: http://israelplug. com/tidbits/israel-is-the- size-of-new-jersey/ ;
- Morley, J. (2006, 07 17). What Is Hamas? Retrieved 02 08, 2009, from washingtonpost: http://www. washingtonpost. com/wp- yn/content/article/2006/07/17/AR2006071700898. html ;
- Ohio State University . (2009). West Bank and Gaza Strip. Retrieved 02 07, 2009, from EHistory Archive: http://ehistory. osu. edu/middleeast/CountryView. cfm? ID=242 ;
- PALESTINE FACTS. (2009 ). ISRAEL 1991 TO PRESENT US-ISRAEL SUPPORT. Retrieved 02 07, 2009, from PALESTINE FACTS: http://www. palestinefacts. org/pf_1991to_now_israel_us_support. php ;
- PALESTINE FACTS. (2009 ). ISRAEL’S INDEPENDENCE. Retrieved 02 07, 2009, from PALESTINE FACTS: http://www. palestinefacts. org/pf_independence_war_start. php
- Pearson Education Inc. (2008). Jordan. Retrieved 02 10, 2009, from Infoplease: http://www. infoplease. com/ipa/A0107670. html
- Pearson Education, Inc. (2008). Iran. Retrieved 02 09, 2009, from Information Please: http://www. infoplease. com/ipa/A0107640. html
- PERETZ, D. (2009 ). The first conflict between the Arabs and the new state of Israel. Retrieved 02 07, 2009, from Arab – Israel War (1948): http://www. answers. com/topic/arab-israel-war
- Pike, J. (1998 , 08 08). Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). Retrieved 02 07, 2009, from FAS Intelligence : http://www. fas. org/irp/world/para/plo. htm
- Prusher, I. R. (2009, 02 09). New drive for Israel, Hamas cease-fire deal. Retrieved 02 10, 2009, from The Christian Science Monitor : http://www. csmonitor. com/2009/0210/p06s01-wome. html
Cite this The Ongoing Conflict of Israel and Palestine
The Ongoing Conflict of Israel and Palestine. (2018, Feb 07). Retrieved from https://graduateway.com/the-ongoing-conflict-of-israel-and-palestine/