Vital National Interests
One critical national involvement we have today is the devastation of the spoils system and the remotion of incompetent appointed functionaries. We besides need to avoid going an imperial power, for it violates the rules of our ain Constitution and Declaration of Independence (Vision 744). My 3rd national involvement is much like my 2nd, because it is really of import, “we must walk off from the unsafe semblance of empire.” (Options in Brief press release)
Longterm Foreign Policy Strategy
I think it is rather obvious that the lone foreign policy scheme that is acceptable is option 2- Preserve Our Democratic Values. We, as a state, have to decline to go an imperial power. Our history tells us so! We know that it is a atrocious thing to govern over a people that do non desire you to. It has non been that long since we were merely a smattering of British settlements. Think back, how much did we like being ruled by the British. We liked it so much that we revolted and fought a war for our freedom! Britain was the prototype of an imperialistic power and we hated them. How can we have that memory of the snake pit they put us through and so even think about going an imperial power ourselves!
Therefore, we can non even think of holding a foreign policy based upon an empirical interventionist ideal. The minute we ado platinums such a policy is the minute when the United States ends its period of being the land of the free and becomes the land of the autocrats. On the other manus, if we were to follow a foreign policy based upon an isolationist policy, we would non be autocrats.
We would non be harming any people of the universe with foreign regulation they don’t want. We, every bit good as many states, would be rather content with our state and we could experience good knowing that we haven’t turned into the imperialistic autocrats that we one time fought against for our ain freedom.
- Reverend Josiah Strong: We merely got through a Civil War in which slavery/racism played a big portion. How can you state that “God is developing the Anglo-Saxon for its mission” -a mission of conveying Christianity and civilisation to the universe’s “weaker races” ?
- John Hay: What do you believe the effects of going an imperium will be on our authorities?
- Joesph Pulitzer: Would you experience that your rights may be at hazard if we became an empirical power that denied those same rights to the states we conquer?
- Samuel McClure: How can you logically defend the construct of enslaving other states to go an imperium?
- George Dewey: Did you feel that the people of the Philippines that you helped to occupy were thankful that the U.S. was occupying them?