Academic Stress causes Teenage DepressionAcademic stress is very common in student’s lives. Many students assume that making the academic experience their first priority now, will increase the chance of success in the future. School is an important aspect in most teenagers lives and by being so important a teenager can become depressed very effortlessly at school or because of school. Academic stress can take complete control over a student’s life, sometimes leading to depression. At school this may lead to poor attendance, a significant drop in grades or even annoyance with schoolwork, in a good student.
There are many studies that have been performed to prove the correlation between responsibility in school and academic performance being the cause to academic stress. Just like there are numerous causes to academic there are also numerous cures, such as changing mind set and behavior. Academic stress is something majority of students in school can relate to and the cause of it can be something small as a bad grade on an evaluation, It will enforce the student to try harder in the future but it will for sure cause some sort of stress, even if it is for a moment.
Stress from school can be one of the most essential causes of teen depression. Academic stress can take complete control over the student enduring it. Researchers say that the most common form of anxiety causing academic stress is achievement anxiety. This type of anxiety is likely to occur when a student has a fear of failure in an academic related situation. However a report conducted in 2000, Research in Higher Education” showed that academic stress and achievement anxiety can have a positive effect on a students grades.
- The Rosen Publishing Group, Inc., New York.
- Czark, G. (2000). It’s Not Easy Being A Teen. Brandweek, 41.32, 28-32.
- Desetta.A, Wolin.A. (2000). The Struggle to Be Strong: True Stories by Teens About Overcoming Tough Times, Free Sprit Publishing.
- Empfield, M., Bakalar, N. (2001). Understanding Teenage Depression: A Guide to Diagnosis, Treatment and Management, Holt Paperbacks, New York.
- Gmelch, W.H. (1993). Coping with Faculty Stress. SAGE Publications, Inc, Washington State University, USA.
- Gregory.J.R, Frazer.H. (1986). An Academic Stress Scale: Identification and Rated Importance Of Academic Stressors, 59, 2-6.
- Mounsey.R, Vendehey.M, Diekhoff.G. (2013). Working and non-working university students: anxiety, depression and grade point average. College Student Journal, 47.2, 379-380.
- (2012). Pressure “too much for girls”. Europe Intelligence Wire, 39, 2-7.
Cite this Essayon Academic Stress Causes Teenage Depression
Essayon Academic Stress Causes Teenage Depression. (2018, Feb 07). Retrieved from https://graduateway.com/essayon-academic-stress-causes-teenage-depression/