Porsche will launch a third model range in 2002 in the form of the Cayenne, which will represent a new venture in many respects, for example
- Not a classic sports car but a sports utility vehicle (SUV)
- 1st vehicle unrestrictedly suitable for every day use from Porsche/1st Porsche with the potential to be a first vehicle
- new market and competition environment for Porsche
The Cayenne means a major step for Porsche
- Jump in volume from approx 50000 to approx 75,000 vehicles per year
- For the first time Porsche is entering a market segment outside classic sports cars
The market success of the Cayenne is vital for Porsche, Porsche cannot afford to fail.
Reason for coming out 3rd Porsche
- The Cayenne gives Porsche an opportunity to expand its sporting image to a 3rd dimension
- The cayenne will supplement the existing product range consisting of the 911 and Boxster and is not substitute
- reduce its dependence on Porsche’s core segments of classic sports cars (coupes, convertibles and roadsters)
- to minimise the risk of cannibalisation between the series
- by expanding the rang of customers/the “source of business”
- to continue to promote the social acceptance of the Porsche brand
- to enhance the sympathy and fascination for the Porsche brand
- to establish new growth potential for turnover, sales and earnings
The premium segment of the SUV market is subject to very dynamic growth and is enormous.
The HK economy underwent a distinct slowdown over the course of 2001. The GDP decelerated sharply in growth from 10.5% in real terms in 2000 to a mere 0.1% 2001. Consumer spending remained subdued with job security concerns and prolonged weakness in asset markets. The unemployment rate has climbed up to 7% in March 2002.
The Government budget proposals 02./03, will be formulating policies to improve HK’s business environment and enhance competitiveness, particularly in the high technology, high value added industries. The principal “one country two system” is sustained.
Insurance intermediaries must be registered in order to comply the legal requirement. The motor salesmen also provide the insurance service to the customers. Mr. Tune Chee Wah re-relected as Chief Executive for another 5 year term. New ministers and executives councillors system effective on 1st July 2002, in coalition government of the administration of the Chief Executive.
Financial secretary forecasts a GDP growth of 1% in real terms for 2002, real trend growth of 3% over the medium term. As the excess capacity within the global economy has yet to be digested and local deflationary pressure will remain, there would be a fall of 1.5% in the GDP deflator for 2002 and 0.4% trend growth over the medium term. Beside, economic restructuring will continue for some time, so the unemployment rate is expected to increase further in the short term.
Internet is most appropriate method to communicate with the customer. It is easily to collect the customer data though Internet and pass the novelty information to customer though e-mail. It could reduce the time and human intervention of each transaction with customers.
3 steps will divide the worldwide launch concept for the Porsche Cayenne. It includes Heritage, development and product branding. Hertiage phase is mainly focused on classical advertising communications, on the Internet, in dialogue marketing etc. The official photo is starting the second stage of Development Phase. The objective of this phase is to heighten the tension further, again via all communication channels by disclosing details from the Development until the market launch of the vehicle. The last phase 3 is to help the launch the vehicle correctly on the market.
Objective: Slogan” “The next Porsche”. General Objective
- Preparing the brand for launch
- Highlighting the brands’link with the new sengment.
- Creating a niche within a niche – the ‘first of its kind”
- Winning over new customer groups
- Motivating Porsche drivers to also buy a Cayenne
- Aviod weakening the position of the 911 or the Boxster
- Intergrated communication via all methods and means
Target groups for communication
- direct target groups according to previous owners, Porsche owners and customers foreign to the marque
- indirect target group, general public with an interest in cars.
- The 1st phase,”Pre-campign” the highlight would be the wealth of experience that Porsche has to offer in the offroad segment and links up with both emotionally and the major Porsche successes such as Porsche skills in four wheel technologies. The strategy is mainly addresses to collect the potential purchasers for the Cayenne in the central database.
- The 2nd phase, “Launch Phase” is the 1st time to present Cayenne and the key product feature to the public. It will show the vehicle in a few teaser photos.
- The 3rd phase, “Penetration Phase”, will start the actual launch of the Cayenne. It will show the Cayenne as a unique vehicle and establish it in the market. It should ultimately result in the purchase of a Cayenne.
To ensure the integrated marketing strategy the communications for the Cayenne will be available as usual in a coordinated form via all channels. The additional methods to achieve the objective are also necessary including classical advertising, the internet and to direct and commercial marketing. The Imax film project “Top speed” and the computer game of the same name as also the supplement of the communication strategy.