SOLAR HEATED GRILL
This study aimed to find out if an old shoebox and a thick tin foil can be converted to a more useful piece of cooking equipment. The feasibility of reflective solar heated grill that is built from a cardboard box, tin foil, and poster board as an alternative cooking equipment was studied in this research project. The cardboard box was cut and shaped the tin foil is settled in the middle making it looks like a slide, we go outside in the heat of the sun, the barbeque sticks were placed in the spot where reflection of the sunlight focuses on the hotdog. Just like a real skewer the hotdog were cooked there for minutes, tasted it and viola. Real hotdogs on stick just like mom used to cook.
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
A Solar Heated Grill can be built from a cardboard box, tin foil and poster board. Sunlight hits the reflective surface and focuses on the hotdog held in the center. Students can work in pairs or individually if there are enough materials. This is a parabolic cooker we built a while ago, so unfortunately we can’t stop step by step photos of it’s construction. However, it’s relatively easy to see how it was put together. It makes a great Physics project. Unlike most, you’ll actually get some use out of it afterwards. Some of the principles it demonstrates are OPTICS:focusing parallel rays of incident light through the use of a parabolic mirror, ENERGY TRANSFORMATION:light to heat and RENEWABLE ENERGY:solar power. 1.2. OBJECTIVES
General Objective: This study thru Physics aims to find out if an old shoe carton box can be useful to make an alternative cooking machine.
This study aims to find out if an old shoe carton box can be useful to make an alternative cooking machine player is significant to different sectors for various reasons: Serves as an eye-opener for those who don’t have a grill in their backyard and for those who want to convert their old shoe box carton into a hotdog grilling machine. 1.3. SCOPE AND LIMITATIONS
It is limited to the use of carton box, tin foils, glues, masking tape, barbeque sticks and hotdog yummy. The conversion of an old carton box into a solar heated grill is the main concern of this research. The output can be done by properly assembling it. 1.4. DEFINITION OF TERMS
For purpose of clarity, the following terms used in the study are hereby defined. Hotdog – A commonly used term for sausage that is usually eaten in a bun with ketchup, mustard and/or relish. Outdoor Cooking Appliances – To cook food above charcoal, gas or other means of heat. Tin Foil – A wrapping substance to keep food fresh.
Skewer – is a thin metal or wood stick used to hold pieces of food together.
REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
Hotdogs rank right up there Hamburgers as the favorite summer food. However, while people can take a homemade hamburger seriously, the hotdog tends to be something inexpensive and flavorless. It’s for this reason that I don’t generally like hotdogs. I prefer something better in the grill. This is why it’s better to put a sausage in the grill rather than those expensive fast food hotdogs. If you happen to be one of the world’s 2 Billion people who don’t eat pork you are in lucky. There are lots of hotdog variations out there that are as good as the original. Sausages made from turkey, beef, chicken are loaded with flavors and in some instances superior to there pork counterparts. You can usually find these available in local health food stores or specialty meat markets. There are probably as many ways to top off a hotdog as there are ways to top of a hamburger. You top your dog in this order: Yellow mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, pickles. Pepper and celery salt.
And few things can make a meal out of a hotdog like a heavy dose of Chili. However you like your hotdog start out with a good dog and you’ll get something no one can refuse. Everyone who does more than informal cooking on their fuel grill really should convert from propane to all-natural gasoline if at all feasible. The final convenience of not managing out of gas or obtaining to change the tank is certainly worth the time, work and cost. Gasoline grilling is a fantastic hobby. It is so simple and available to go external to your grill – take off the grill cover and pronto – the grill is ignited! Weber is a single of the effectively-known manufacturers of various varieties of grills such as the kettle grill, the charcoal grill, and the gas grill. Some might find these grills cheap because some of the Weber grill items are genuinely inexpensive. Nevertheless, some might also find these grills expensive as there are Weber grill types that really don’t arrive inexpensive.
But considering that this is one particular of the well-liked brands of grills, many are canvassing for Weber goods in many merchants, hoping that they can get discounts. A feasibility study was conducted to determine if solar power could be used to offset or eliminate the diesel fuel powered refrigeration systems currently used in transport applications. This study focused on the technical feasibility and economic viability of solar for this application. A target application was selected and a moderately detailed mathematical model was constructed to predict the performance of the system based on hourly solar insolation and temperature. In our basic solar heating system, freeze protection is accomplished with use of a non-toxic antifreeze solution in the collector loop. This fluid is circulated from the collectors through a heat exchanger to transfer the heat into a domestic hot water storage tank or dissipated through various applications. The antifreeze is contained within a closed loop, so it never mixes with the domestic water.
These solar collector loops are set up very similar to conventional closed loop hydronic heating systems in your homes, which circulate heated fluid from a boiler throughout in floor pipes within your home. All components used in solar heating systems are generally recognized by plumbing and heating contractors.
1. Two pieces of heavy cardboard. The first piece must be at least ten inches square and the second smaller piece must be at least four inches by five inches.
2. A piece of light poster board eight inches wide and sixteen inches long.
3. Twelve-inch wide aluminum foil. (You will use about 32 inches of the material.)
4. Some masking tape. (You may experiment with other types of tape.)
5. Nine inch long sticks about 1/16 inch in diameter. You may also use lengths of heavy wire. 3.2. Instructions
1. Cut away the top flaps on your larger box. Spray the inside and outside of the box black. Coat it thoroughly and let the paint dry for at least two hours. The black color will help absorb heat to cook your food. 2. Cut away the two short flaps and one of the long flaps on your smaller box. Spray-paint the outside of this box black. It doesn’t matter if black paint gets on the inside of the box, but you don’t need to coat the inside, either. Let the paint cure for two hours.
3. Spray the inside of the box and the underside of the remaining flap with spray adhesive. Press aluminum foil into the adhesive, making sure the shiniest side faces out. Cover the surfaces completely and let the glue dry overnight.
4. Place the smaller box inside the larger box. The airspace between the two boxes will help absorb and create more ambient heat. Place your cooling rack on top of the smaller box; the rack should be slightly larger than the opening so it stays in place.
5. Tilt the smaller box flap forward over the wire rack until sunlight hits the rack. Sunlight should also hit the inside of both boxes. Adjust the box until this happens. Prop the flap up at the ideal angle with a bamboo skewer.
6. Wait for the box to heat before grilling. Place your grilling items on the wire rack; it should be very hot. Grill and turn your food as you would on a regular grill. Clean the grill inside and out after each use.
RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
This chapter presents the data, analysis and interpretation of findings. It is in part whereby the data have been sorted out, tabulated, subjected to statistical analysis and then the findings were interpreted, after we had produced the hotdog grill out of recycled old carton box and grilled the hotdog there thru spotted sunlight reflections on the tin foil. We asked
somebody to rate the taste and acceptance of the food.
Our hypothesis was right. The hotdog grill made of cardboard can really cooked delicious hotdogs which is acceptable in the real world, the cooker is cheap if built because the materials are not expensive produced hotdog is the same as it is cooked in the grill. We think that if a reflective hotdog cooker can be built from a cardboard box, tin foil and poster board is feasible that hotdog can be cooked there just like our mothers to cook. We think that is cheaper and economical since we live in a tropical country,we think that this will be acceptable in our time.