Information technology (IT) benefits the business world by allowing organizations to work more efficiently and to maximize productivity. Some of the advantages that IT can have on our enterprise are given as following.
1. Storage: Information technology creates electronic storage systems to protect our company’s valuable records.
2. Automated Process: In business, people look for ways to do more work in a shorter amount of time. IT improves our company’s efficiency by developing automated processes to take burden off our staff. In turn, our employees are free to work on other things while the computer runs their reports, creates queries, etc.
3. Remote Work: IT systems give us remote access to our company’s electronic network, so that we can work from home or on the road. This accessibility allows us to increase our productivity because we can still get work done, even when we are not physically present in the office.
Along with the advantages, there are some disadvantages of integrating information technology in business. Some are given as following.
1. Expense: Most of the technology vendors require businesses to purchase user licenses for each employee that will be operating the system. Additionally, having technology means that a company needs to pay technology professionals to assist with and monitor that technology.
2. Job Elimination: As technology improves, tasks that were formerly performed by human employees are now carried out by computer systems. For example, automated telephone answering systems have replaced live receptionists in many organizations. This leads to the elimination of jobs and the unemployment ratio in the country increases.
3. Security Breaches: IT systems are vulnerable to security breaches, particularly when they are accessible via the Internet. If appropriate measures are not in place, unauthorized individuals may access confidential data. Information may be altered, permanently destroyed or used for unsavory purposes.