The use of seat belts is often the difference between life and death in the event of a car accident. It may take an extra second to buckle up, but that simple measure often has invaluable benefits–the most important being that it could save your life.
* While driving normally at an average speed, the use of a seat belt provides the added benefit of security and peace of mind. When sudden stops occur, the seat belt reduces the chance of whiplash, which occurs when the body is jerked forward and back too quickly, straining the neck.
Benefits in Accident Situations
* In the event that an accident occurs, a seat belt truly plays a crucial role in preventing a person from crashing headfirst into the windshield or being completely thrown through the windshield upon impact. Both of these scenarios are often fatal.
Benefits for All Ages
* The use of seat belts provides a significant benefit for toddlers. Car seats for children are not always secure. Securing car seats with seat belts lets parents rest assured that their children are protected in transit.
Correct Seat Belt Use
* Seat belts can sometimes be uncomfortable for young children, but the benefits greatly outweigh that discomfort. Children should be strapped in correctly, with the diagonal strap in front of the child, not tucked behind. This ensures that the seat belt performs correctly in the event of sudden stops.
* Laws in all states require drivers and front-seat passengers to wear seat belts. Some states require all passengers to wear seat belts. Failure to do so could result in fines.